Sunday, January 5, 2020

CQQ #28: New Year's Resolutions...?


A push in the right direction or a waste of time and energy?


Happy New Year!

For those who don't know (or live someplace where this doesn't exist), New Year's resolutions is the common practice of setting any number of goals expected to be met throughout the brand new year. (It's basically an annual to-do list.) Some say they're beneficial while others say they do more harm than good.

Perhaps it's the pressure of commitment or the high expectations given to oneself that discourages some from making such plans. Or perhaps it's that reminder to push oneself toward positive changes that encourages others to stick to their plans.

Which side of the fence are you on?


Change is what we're made to do, naturally, as we grow in our own spiritual journeys down the narrow road. It's a natural part of following Christ the Good Shepherd, called sanctification. Perhaps some may have a bad habit or addiction they're aiming to overcome. Or perhaps some are aiming to create new and healthier habits to keep them growing in their walk, like reading the bible more and spending more time with God.

At the same time, a number of those who give themselves too many or too great of expectations and fail to follow through may become too hard on themselves. Let's not forget about the victory that we've already obtained through the grace of God through faith in Christ and not of our own doing. Even failures become learning opportunities, not moments to beat yourself up.


Though I typically don't make New Year's resolutions (some goals may take much longer), personally I find the concept neither bad nor good; it's a matter of how one practices goal-setting in general. What motivates a person to reach their goals, and the techniques to pace oneself along the road, may vary from person to person. The idea behind any resolution should be to push oneself toward a more positive direction but not to create such heavy expectations as to make our goals into unreachable burdens. And though we cannot predict the future, we must also remember to leave that in God's hands.

"The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps." (Proverbs 16:9 ESV)

"...and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith..." (Hebrews 12:1-2 ESV)


Curious Questions to Consider:

What are your thoughts on New Year's resolutions? Do you make them? Why or why not?

Do you have any resolutions or personal goals this year? If so, what are they?

Do you have any spiritual resolutions? In what ways can you use resolutions to draw closer to God?

What keeps you motivated when it comes to committing to a resolution or goal? How do you avoid burnout or giving up?

What are some helpful tips for healthy goal-setting? (Feel free to share what you know.)

Do you have any words of encouragement for those who are struggling to reach their goals?

Is there anything you'd like prayer for? (Feel free to make a prayer request.)


Leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Feel free to share your own stories, experiences and insight in relation to the topic.

Be sure to be respectful and considerate of your word choice in regards to whatever details you choose to share. We're not here to gossip or backstab. Refrain from using specific names. Do not use this topic as an excuse to bash on those who may agree or disagree on certain views regarding New Year's resolutions or goal-setting. No flame wars. Please keep it clean and civil.


God bless and thanks for sharing! Happy New Year!


_______________________________________________________

Author's Notes:

Cover image courtesy of freestocks.org.


(Written on January 05, 2020.)


+ + +

6 comments:

  1. I feel that some resolutions are superficial (just as some Lenten sacrifices can be), and wither because they have no root. But I don't begrudge anyone who sincerely seeks self reflection and improvement. As you said, some goals are very long-term, even lifelong. We must not lose hope. We must persevere for those things which are lasting and of eternal benefit.

    Blessings to all this new year. Let us redeem the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Resolutions once again. It's the start of another year and I'm not too big on them. I do have plans from last year that I'd make sure I put more effort into.

    I wanna study my Bible more, pray more and share my faith. I did realize something, it's better to start small and be consistent than take a large step and after that nil. You lose motivation.

    I didn't used to pray before but I'd take 15min(I'm gonna resume this) at a particular time of the day. Now that I think about it, if I do this everyday consistently, it'd stick. Lol I just figured something out.

    I've got other goals but I'd use the same approach. Small and consistent steps.

    I pray we all grow more in grace and knowledge of truth in Jesus' name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year its not so much resolutions as answering a call the Lord has placed on me to write my complete testimony (conception to present) in book form. I have had significant literal miracles that could only have come from God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why my post says "unknown" but I'm the one called to write my testimony.
    Paula_jennings416@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It still says unknown even though it says Comment as: paula_jennings416@yahoo.com & will not allow me to check 'Notify me'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy, I hate resolutions, lol. I do set goals though. I set a goal to read at least 24 books this year, to pursue holiness with a greater passion and to lose at least 15 pounds.

    I would say goal setting is essential to personal improvement and having accountability partners is also important. Great post!

    ReplyDelete