Sunday, September 22, 2019

CQQ #18: Spiritual Dreams...?


A spiritual message or something you ate...?


Thank you, Rob Moore, for inspiring this topic with your suggestion!

I had experienced a few rare (and typically strange) dreams that may or may not have had some spiritual significance during my own journey of sanctification. Some of those dreams gave me comfort and reassurance of God's Fatherly love. Some included possible encounters with angels in disguise. Some involved rebuking an invisible demon. And some appeared to be metaphorical, or foreshadowing something unpleasant that was to happen in my life (which, strangely enough, eventually came true). Perhaps they were messages or spiritual encounters. Perhaps not.

(For those who are curious, I've shared at least one of those dreams—and I may consider sharing more—in the Autobiography section of this blog.)


Dreams had played a significant role in biblical times, typically delivering visions, messages, or warnings; perhaps the most famous example being Joseph—the one with the "coat of many colors" (Genesis 37), who also interpreted the dreams of the prisoners (Genesis 40) and the Pharaoh (Genesis 41). A few other known examples of dreaming and/or interpretation of dreams include Daniel (Daniel 2), Abimelech (Genesis 20), and Mary's husband Joseph (Matthew 1 + 2). (Special mention goes to Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Peter, those who received visions from the Lord.)

A few interesting passages related to dreams:

"For God does speak—now one way, now another—
    though no one perceives it.
 In a dream, in a vision of the night,
    when deep sleep falls on people
    as they slumber in their beds,
 he may speak in their ears
    and terrify them with warnings,
 to turn them from wrongdoing
    and keep them from pride,
 to preserve them from the pit,
    their lives from perishing by the sword." (Job 33:14-18 NIV)

"‘And in the last days it shall be, God declares,
that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh,
and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
    and your young men shall see visions,
    and your old men shall dream dreams..." (Acts 2:17 ESV)


Do people still receive messages from God through dreams today? Perhaps, though validity of some claims may or may not be taken with a grain of salt. Some have claimed to experience something spiritual during near-death experiences, one particularly famous account published in a book titled Heaven is for Real.

On the other hand, some have supposedly started their own religious movements on the claim of an encounter with an angel in a dream (i.e. Joseph Smith, who founded Mormonism). However, we must utilize spiritual discernment in such matters and bear in mind anything that contradicts biblical truth according to scripture. Not every message or "vision" (or claim of such) may actually be from God.


Curious Questions to Consider:

Do you believe God still speaks to people through dreams?

Have you (or someone you know/knew) ever experienced a significant dream that was spiritual in nature?

Have you ever read or heard about Burpo's story, Heaven is for Real? If so, what are your thoughts?

Do you know of any such stories regarding near-death experiences?

Do you think angels and/or demons can be encountered through dreams?


Leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Feel free to share your own stories, experiences and insight in relation to the topic.

Be sure to be respectful and considerate of your word choice in regards to whatever details you choose to share. We're not here to gossip or backstab. Refrain from using specific names. Do not use this topic as an excuse to bash on those who may agree or disagree on certain views regarding dreams and visions. No flame wars. Please keep it clean and civil.


God bless and thanks for sharing!


_______________________________________________________

Author's Notes:

Credit goes to Rob Moore for inspiring this topic with his suggestion.

Cover image courtesy of John-Mark Smith.


(Written on September 22, 2019.)


+ + +

2 comments:

  1. Hey Fleecy, great post. I do believe God can and does use dreams. Scripture is clear this is a way God communicates to us. I remember a number of years ago, while living in Florida, I had a dream about living in a house in the woods and it was so distinct, I remember telling my wife about it the next day. Fast forward 10 years and we are living in our current home in TN and due to a series of events, I began to question our move from FL and my whole purpose as a believer. It was a dark time for me, and one day, I realized the dream I had of the house in the woods was the house I am living in. This was God's confirmation to me our move was in His will.

    On Heaven is for real, there are far too many scriptural inconsistencies to take it seriously. I am very skeptical of the motives of the dad and find the whole thing rather unbelievable. There was a very similar story and book prior to this and the child grew up and admitted it was false and that his dad made it all up.

    These things generally end up as a money grab .

    Thanks for letting me share my story. Have a blessed week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the mention, and for addressing this topic. Dreams are problematic for me. When I dream it is usually some nonsensical drama that only leaves me more tired. I do believe that God speaks in dreams. I also believe that Satan has access to human dream life, to the extent that God allows. Is there a purpose for crazy dreams like the ones I have? I honestly don't know. I just need to be faithful regardless of what comes my way. Either in my conscious or dream state.

    ReplyDelete