Sunday, August 18, 2019

CQQ #14: Coping with Grief...?


When your skies are grey in the midst of sunshine...


Thank you, Rob Moore, for suggesting this topic!

Grief is something many of us can relate to. It's not just something we go through when a loved one passes away; a really bad breakup, the loss of a job, moving away, and many other life-changing events can also lead to grieving.

People may process their grief differently, having their own methods to cope and requiring varying amounts of time to recover depending on the person and situation, be it an hour, a few days, or longer. Some, however, may fall into depression, draining the overall quality of their day to day lives. Such times can make one feel like they're the only one hurting inside while the rest of the world carries on without them, like they're stuck with dark clouds in the midst of sunshine. Some go searching for the right umbrella to endure the pain until the clouds pass. Some need a friend to bring that umbrella and walk with them across the puddles.

It's important to take careful consideration for those dealing with hard times. No matter a person's age, sex, or situation, never belittle someone's grief, even if you may not feel the same way (such as the loss of a small pet).

For those who especially may be prone to drastic, harmful, and dangerous measures, it's important to seek help. Every life matters, including your own.


Don't give up on yourself. You're not alone. God loves you. You can still lean onto Him in times of grief, even if you feel like He's far away; He knows and understands what you go through, and He won't leave or forsake you.

"The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34:18 ESV)


Curious Questions to Consider:

How do you deal with grief? What helps you cope?

How do you help someone going through grief? Do you comfort them or give them time to be alone?

What are some unhealthy ways to deal with grief?

How do we draw closer to God during times of mourning?

Are you or someone you know currently dealing with grief? Would you like prayer?


Leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Feel free to share your own stories, experiences and insight in relation to the topic.

Be sure to be respectful and considerate of your word choice in regards to whatever details you choose to share. We're not here to gossip or backstab. Refrain from using specific names. Do not use this topic as an excuse to bash on those who may agree or disagree on certain views regarding grief or depression. No flame wars. Please keep it clean and civil.


God bless and thanks for sharing!


_______________________________________________________

Author's Notes:

Credit goes to Rob Moore for suggesting this topic.

Cover image courtesy of Chris Kane.


(Written on August 18, 2019.)


+ + +

4 comments:

  1. This is a tough one!My husband lost both of his parents within 3 months of each other. He has 3 adult siblings & they definitely dealt with grieving differently & at different rates. The girls went through grief & loss biblical classes at church. His brother drank & it took a long time before my husband could process it. I just tried to listen when he was finally ready to talk, prayed for him every day, & helped him celebrate them when he wanted tell stories about their lives. I looked at their pictures & memories when I missed them. Read 2 books on heaven: 1 by David Jeremiah & 1 by Randy Alcorn. I found them both to be very comforting. Tried to take care of a lot of the everyday life things because my husband was in a daze. After a while, I tried to look for ways for us to laugh again and be outside. I personally think it helps to go ahead and grieve but everyone is different and it cant be rushed. The hardest thing is how to change holidays and celebrations. We worked hard to start new traditions & still honor their memories.Reading Psalms and listening to Christian music was good for the soul. Talking to friends that were understanding was invaluable to me.(for what it's worth- hope it helps!)C.Saltz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this. God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for posting this topic. Anyone who follows me on Twitter probably knows that I have just gone through a season of grief. I lost both my parents in less than a year. I thought having been through Mom's death last year would have enabled me to deal with Dad's death more easily. But that was not the case at all. In some ways it was more difficult.

    I internalize most emotions, including grief. Both Mom and Dad were in hospice in their final months. Hospice provides grief counseling for the family as well. So far I have not gone down that route. Also my pastor has offered to assist.

    As in all things, I cling to the promises of Almighty God. My siblings and I are trying to encourage each other, pray for each other, and celebrate the memories of our wonderful life with our parents.

    As to interacting with others who are going through a loss, I admit that I am usually uncomfortable. Worrying that I might say the wrong thing. I try to let them know that I care and I am praying for them.

    My heart goes out to anyone who is dealing with grief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent, thought provoking post! I prefer to mourn alone. I think I like to have the fact I am mourning acknowledged, to some degree, but not much beyond that. I have thr tendency to be a loner anyway, so it may be connected.

    When others mourn, I feel it is important to acknowledge it, make my availability known and then give space unless invited in to participate. A friend's son committed suicide a few months ago. I called and attended the funeral. I let him know he could call if he needed anything and he did call and asked me to come over to visit and pray. I was glad he called.

    I am not great with other's grief and the only thing that has ever caused me to question my calling as a minister is the level to which I hate conducting a funeral.

    Glad you posted this.

    ReplyDelete