Sunday, August 4, 2019

CQQ #12: Thorn in the Flesh...?


How do you stand and walk among thorns?


The phrase "thorn in the flesh" can be defined as a chronic struggle, burden, annoyance, or source of trouble in one's own life.

For many it's an injury, illness, disorder, or medical condition contracted from birth or later in life. For a number of you, it's the struggle to overcome addiction, anxiety, or personal fears and phobias. For others, it's depression, loneliness, insomnia, intrusive thoughts...

Perhaps your thorn is situational, or something that too often interferes with your quality of life or ability to work. Perhaps it's your enemies, bullies, or difficult people who make your life more chaotic. Or perhaps it's a personal flaw of yours, like pride or impatience, that holds you back.


In 2 Corinthians 12, the apostle Paul spoke of having what he referred to as a "thorn in the flesh". Even though he "pleaded with the Lord to take it away", he believed that this thorn kept him from "becoming conceited" and instead used them as opportunities to "boast all the more gladly about (his) weakness", even declaring, "For when I am weak, then I am strong" (2 Corinthians 12:10).

This approach to difficulties can seem baffling in this messy world we live in, but I believe that his point was to redirect our focus to Christ, the One worth struggling for and the One truly worth "boasting" about. Christ even wore a crown of thorns while bearing the world's sins; one could say that such literal thorns of the flesh symbolized our own metaphorical thorns, which He took to the cross.

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness'..." (2 Corinthians 12:9)


Whichever the case, we all have thorns to deal with, and it's vital that we trust in Christ despite what obstacles head our way. Perhaps we may find ourselves using our struggles and experiences to encourage others to not give up.


Curious Questions to Consider:

What is/are your thorn(s) in the flesh? How does God help you deal with them?

Do you have any helpful advice or insight you could share with others for dealing with a specific thorn that you struggle(d) with? (Feel free to share them.)

What do you think the apostle Paul meant when he spoke of his 'thorn in the flesh' (2 Corinthians 12:7-10)?

Do you believe that Christ bore your thorns on the cross? Do you believe that His grace is sufficient for you?

Is there a thorn in your life that you would like prayer for?


Leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Feel free to share your own stories, experiences and insight in relation to the topic.

Be sure to be respectful and considerate of your word choice in regards to whatever details you choose to share. We're not here to gossip or backstab. Refrain from using specific names. Do not use this topic as an excuse to bash on those who may agree or disagree on certain views regarding personal struggles, disorders, or any medical issue. No flame wars. Please keep it clean and civil.


God bless and thanks for sharing!


_______________________________________________________

Author's Notes:

Cover image courtesy of Damianum Castrum.


(Written on August 04, 2019.)


+ + +

3 comments:

  1. Like Paul, I prayed many times for my thorn to be removed. I knew of other people who were miraculously delivered from addiction, lust, and other strongholds and maladies. Yet mine remained. Again like Paul, and countless others.

    We cannot compare our experience, our thorn, our deliverance with anyone else. It is unique as we are. The only constant is the faithfulness of Christ. The faithfulness of His goodness. The faithfulness of His promises. The faithfulness of His love.

    Whether I am delivered from my thorn, my peculiar area of weakness, in an instant, or over a lifetime of submission to the work of the Holy Spirit, Christ's work is perfect. Perfectly suited to my need. Perfectly engineered to achieve His purposes.

    May He be glorified always in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I cannot think of anything specific I would consider a thorn in my flesh. There are many things I would change physically and situationally bit nothing I can think of that rises to the level of a thorn in my flesh. The only one thing I think would possibly meet that criteria, but was self inflicted, is being in debt. Would that count I feel like it does not. Any way, great post my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there are some things which are not the best in my life. But I look through the lens of being grateful for what I have - the small things, the simple things that make me feel content. And the best things, the important things, are freely given by God. So I can't complain.

    ReplyDelete