Sunday, June 23, 2019

CQQ #8: Accountability Partners...?


Hey friend, how's your prayer life?


Thank you, Rob Moore, for suggesting this topic!

Having done a lot of growing alone with God on my spiritual journey, I can't really say a whole lot about the topic of accountability partners and their effectiveness. But perhaps some of you readers can.

I can say, however, that it is certainly a healthy thing to give yourself time away from your busy life to reflect on your spiritual walk. I often do so in the mornings (while reading daily devotionals) and pretty much anytime I talk to/connect with God during my alone time. Whether alone or with a friend/partner, I encourage spiritual checkups, not as a means to harshly criticize yourself in your failures, but rather as a means to look at your life honestly, learn and grow, develop healthy spiritual habits, bring to light any struggles you're dealing with, and connect deeper.


Curious Questions to Consider:

What are your thoughts on accountability partners?

Do/Did you have an accountability partner? If so, did having one help or hinder your spiritual walk?

In what ways would/does an accountability partner help you in your spiritual walk?

If you don't have one, in what ways do you check up on yourself spiritually?

Are you currently struggling to overcome something? Is there anything you would like prayer for?


Leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Feel free to share your own stories, experiences and insight in relation to the topic.

Be sure to be respectful and considerate of your word choice in regards to whatever details you choose to share. We're not here to gossip or backstab. Refrain from using specific names. Do not use this topic as an excuse to bash on those who may agree or disagree on certain views regarding accountability. No flame wars. Please keep it clean and civil.


God bless and thanks for sharing!


_______________________________________________________

Author's Notes:

Credit goes to Rob Moore for suggesting this topic.

Cover image courtesy of Christina Morillo.


(Written on June 23, 2019.)


+ + +

4 comments:

  1. When I was actively involved in leading discipleship, the accountability was amazing. My walk was stronger and I was overall a much better person. Right now, even though I am surrounding by people I am serving with I do not currently have an accountbility partner and to me, it is evident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, thank you for asking this question and for the shout out. This is a topic near and dear to me in my Christian walk. Several years ago, I was in an accountability group with two other men. We met weekly for coffee, but more importantly to open to the Word and the share struggles and victories of the week, and pray for each other. Our leader was a pastor and hospital chaplain, and mentor to me in the faith. He was called to eternity way too early (in my view, I know I'm selfish in this) after battling cancer.

    I miss this terribly, and my friend of course. I have been without an accountability partner for a few years now. I ask God in my prayer time daily to bring another man or two, to have this again.

    A few thoughts about accountability partners in general. A partner must be of the same gender (i.e. men meeting with men, women with women). To do otherwise is to expose oneself to potential temptation and is fraught with danger. Second, the accountability partner should be local so that face to face interaction and accountability can take place. Having a remote or online accountability partner would not seem to allow the personal and up-close vulnerability needed and in an accountability relationship. These are my thoughts & views.

    Blessings to all who seek to be accountable in their Christian walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will answer this question in four parts: Part A: General principle of accountability in Bible; Part B: Risks from not being accountable; Part C: Personal experience; and Part D: How we can gain or become an accountability partner.

    A. I believe that Christian faith promotes accountability at every level
    1. Trinity: The Son is subject to the Father (1 Cor 15:28); and Holy Spirit is subject to the Father and the Son (Jn 15:26.
    2. Adam, before marriage, was subject to God ( Genesis 2:15-17).
    3. Eve was subject to Adam and Adam was subject to God (Genesis 2-3).
    4. Elisha was subject to Elijah (2 Kings 2)
    5. Disciples were subject to Jesus (Gospels)
    6. Jesus sent disciples in two by two (Luke 10:1)
    7. Paul and Silas went together, even in jail (Acts 16:25)
    8. Paul and Timothy (1 Tim 1:2)
    9. Accountable to elders and to one another (James 5:14-16)

    B. There are greater chances of acute self condemnation after a sin or a temptation to fall in sin if we do not have someone who doesn't know where we stand in Christian walk. Bible says woe to such a person who do not have someone to lift him up after a fall. "...but woe to him who is alone when he falls, and doesn’t have another to lift him up. Ecclesiastes 4:10b". This strong language of 'woe' meant that we did not have friends in Christ whom we could trust fully. Further, this means that either the friends were not making efforts to mature in Christ so one becomes accountable to other or the church was too divided to even trust anyone; and both these situations are not Lord's will.

    C. Personally, my accountability partners are my elders's family in Christ and Lord has given us loads of time to know one another once I had reverted to the Lord. I kept monitoring my spiritual growth with distance but also prayed & guided when I fell in Sin. I treat them as my spiritual parents. I share with them my deepest fears and even confess my sin (as instructed in James 5:16). It did take me years to come to this stage of trusting him but I did arrive at the point where I could trust him & his wife. And my being deliberate at times worked.

    D. Finding an accountability partner in form of spouse or a spiritually mature person is a good thing.
    1. We may seek advise from elders of the local church in helping to find an accountability partner.
    2. We may also strive to be spiritual mentors and accountability partner for those who are either younger in age or new in Christ in the local church.

    Thank you for reading. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately I don't have an Accountability Partner because my wife is Buddhist and she doesn't like me going to church of being in fellowship with other Christians.
    The only fellowship I have is through Twitter and The Inner Quill.

    ReplyDelete