Monday, December 2, 2019

CQQ #25 Supplementary Thoughts


Once saved always saved? (An extended commentary)


This is my extended commentary on Curious Quill Question #25, which is on the topic of losing salvation. The following thoughts were shared on my Twitter page, but I decided to also make them available to read here:

"I wonder how many readers understood the point I was trying to make as I was sharing my personal thoughts in that blog article? It might not have been immediately obvious or made clear enough, but there was a reason why I referenced that Parable and how God looks at the heart...

My personal stance on the matter is: those who've wholeheartedly accepted Christ as Lord and Savior will not lose their salvation. Their hearts, convicted, understand their need for Christ and are genuinely open to change, learn, grow in spiritto have a relationship with Him.

Some people assume that a person is Christian just because they came from a Christian household or background, when in reality they might not actually be following Christ. When they go astray, some may assume they've "lost their salvation", when in reality they weren't saved in the first place. I say this out of experience, coming from a dysfunctional Christian household. Despite believing in God, I did not have a relationship with Him. I didn't understand the significance of the gospel, and it played no real part in my childhood upbringing. I wasn't saved until I finally understood why I needed Christ and knew I had to genuinely give my heart to Himwholeheartedly accept Christ as Savior. My heart was finally open for Him, and over time it changed so much about how I see life and everything in it.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." (2 Corinthians 5:17 ESV)

This is why faith is "dead" without works as evidence (not salvation through works). Faith changes us, spurs us to serve God and do good. A changed heart desires good and is willing to learn, and that faith will be visible through our choices and actions.

The Good Shepherd knows His sheep, and His sheep hear His voice and follow Him. He gives them eternal life, and He will not let anyone snatch them away."


"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand." (John 10:27-28 ESV)


Was this extended commentary helpful in understanding the last blog post? Are there any ways that you think the execution of the thoughts in the last blog post could've been improved? Leave your thoughts in the comment section below.

God bless and thanks for reading!


_______________________________________________________

Author's Notes:

Credit goes to Helen for suggesting the original topic.

Cover image courtesy of luizclas.


(Original commentary written on December 02, 2019.)


+ + +

No comments:

Post a Comment