Sunday, September 2, 2018

CQQ #1: An Off-Key Response...?


Sing it loud, sing it...okay, maybe not so loud?


While I was at home tuning in to a livestream of a church service one Sunday morning, I kept finding myself distracted by a volunteer front stage singing off-key in the choir. My ears are sensitive to super loud and uncomfortable noises, which can sometimes be difficult for me to tune out. I don't consider myself an expert when it comes to singing. But here is this person, expressing their love for God, singing with all their heart to a beautiful worship song, all with the best of intentions...and they sound, well...tone-deaf. And it made me feel a little guilty that I was feeling a bit put-off by the sound of this one volunteer, who most likely really enjoyed what they're doing.
 
Since it was a livestream (and I don't know the person), chances are I'd probably say nothing and go on with my day. But I imagine it may be different confronting a loved one or someone you know personally. Some people can be very sensitive when it comes to hearing criticism about the sound of their voice, while others not so much.


Curious Questions to Consider:
 
Have you ever had a similar experience with an off-singer—for instance, a choir singer or volunteer, a friend doing karaoke, a parent or relative at a birthday party, etc.?
 
Did you ever feel a bit guilty for being put-off by someone's off-singing?
 
What do you think is the proper response when dealing with a well-intentioned tone-deaf singer? Would you confront them?
 
How would you approach an off-singer without appearing insensitive or putting someone down?
 
For those who (bravely) admit to being poor singers themselves, has someone ever approached you? What happened, and how did it make you feel? How well do you take constructive criticism, and does it apply to your singing?
 
To what extent do passion and talent play when it comes to volunteering to sing in a church choir? Does it affect the worship experience? How much does it matter to you? Do you consider bad singing in the church a major distraction?


Leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Feel free to share your own similar stories, experiences and insight.
 
Be sure to be respectful and considerate of your word choice in regards to whatever details you choose to share. We're not here to gossip or backstab. Refrain from using specific names. Do not use this topic as an excuse to bash on singers or bands you don't like. No flame wars. Please keep it clean and civil.
 
 
God bless and thanks for sharing!


_______________________________________________________

Author's Notes:

Cover image courtesy of Public Domain Pictures.


(Written on September 02, 2018.)


+ + +

3 comments:

  1. I fully admit that I cannot carry a tune. And I appreciate anyone who is willing to sing for God, regardless of any human appraisal of "talent." It is all a joyful beautiful gift to God.

    I think it's human to evaluate, judge, compare, etc. But personally I would never confront someone with my personal opinion or evaluation of their musical ability. Just keep it to myself.

    Blessings to you all.

    ReplyDelete